Tuesday, November 4, 2008

L'election a Paris

Tonight, I decided to join thousands of other liberal American students and expats at an inexpensive, all night Barack Obama Campaign Party, which promised to serve "Barack O-bagels" at 3 am. I told my friends about it, I sent in my RSVP, I pre-gamed at a bar, and I got pumped.

That's when things started to go downhill. First, I received a call from Lola's parents-- it's been over a month and they still haven't started up my regular schedule. But, could I come over tomorrow morning to babysit Lola? Ok, it'll be a little tough, but sure, what time? Oh not too early, just 9 am-- we need to leave by then. Merde. What world do they live in when 9 am isn't early? So I already realized that I couldn't stay out all night and watch the results, I'd have to get back eventually. *sigh*

When my friends and I finally got to the Palais de Congres (just past the Arc de Triomph) at a little before 12:30, thinking we were fashionably late, we were SHOCKED by the enormous amount of people there. Soon, we were told that the entire GIANT location was full, and we had to line up in alphabetical order and wait to get in. Right... ok, like any 'S' people would get in before 4 am... that wasn't going to work for me. The people running this shindig were completely disorganized, and their idea to alphabetically organize people didn't work, obviously. They kept trying in vain, and we kept refusing, and they continued to yell at us for not cooperating. Finally, we had enough, and our large group peaced out and waited a good 15 minutes for the night bus to pick us up.

While the rest of them decided to get off around the Louvre and try and find a bar, I headed back to my house (only had to use "Laissez-moi tranquille" aka "leave me alone" once. not bad). I have a cute, hyper 5 year old to look after tomorrow for 6 hours-- I need some rest. The night failed, and there's nothing I can do about that.

My only comfort rests in the fact that I returned home to find that, as of 3 am Parisian time, Obama has 174 votes, and McCain only 49. I'm trying not to be too optimistic, because I don't want to have a literally rude awakening...

edit: no, I have had a FABULOUS awakening!!!!!!!!! Words cannot express how I'm feeling. Too bad it's pouring rain here right now, though... But even if my host dad thinks that Obama's win is not a good thing for the States and not a good thing for Israel (don't worry, he's a nice man, we'll still get along), I'm curious to see how the rest of Paris treats me today. Should I try and make my Americanism really obvious in hopes of the rare Parisian smile? Should I shout "gobama!!!" in the streets? Je ne sais pas. First, I have to play with a child though, and that makes me happy too :)

PS- Watching clips of black men and women crying and singing and hugging on the news here nearly made me cry... when we get a woman in the white house, I bet I'll be like that as well...hmm, unless it's Sarah Palin. then I'll be crying for a different reason.

No comments: