Sunday, November 16, 2008

blah, boys...

I think it's time to invent an American boyfriend for myself.

I don't care if I consider myself one of the least romantic people ever-- of course I secretly would love to go on a romantic date with one of those good-looking French boys with the intelligent demeanor, those gorgeous big eyes, that amazing hair, and that chic fashion sense. Those guys seem to have gone into hiding, or they all have girlfriends (and unfortunately, display their love for all of Paris to see...). Instead, I continue to attract attention from the same category of men, despite the different culture, language, and continent: sketchy, strange, and way too forward.

Friday night, on my way out to meet up with Natalia, I hear "excusez-moi, mademoiselle" literally not even one minute after leaving my door. This guy strides alongside me and, because I am wearing my high-heeled boots, I can't run off. Well, he's actually very sweet and he tells me he plays basketball for his university, and asks me if I'd like to see a game sometime, and what's my number? Initially alarms started ringing in my head-- don't do it Orly! Don't give in! See, this happens all the time back in Boston, where I'd give these sweet guys the benefit of the doubt, and then regret it as soon as they call 1 hour or so later asking me on a date. But I thought, naw, I'm in Paris, why not, he seems sweet.

Yeah, Jean-Marc is sweet, but he's just like every way too forward American guy who asked for my number, except worse: he's French. And therefore, he's even MORE forward. He has already called and texted a few times, and recently texted me inviting me to dinner Monday night. I am a horrible person-- I have not yet responded. Like I said, sweet guy, I'd like to be his friend, I just am not interested and I don't want to hurt him. So, comme d'habitude, I don't know what to do. So I haven't done anything yet.

Point is: there are some things that don't change, no matter how far you are from home. In my case, it's the strange men I attract...

No comments: